HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
PROFILE PICTURE
SUSAN PARRISH - FOUNDER

Hello, I'm Susan! Welcome to Suz Bakes.


Congrats! You've stumbled across the website during a MAJOR rehaul! I promise it'll be fixed and beautiful within the week. Sorry for the craziness... check back soon! :)
| August 29, 2016


BUTTON TEXT

Check it out!

Sale info goes here. :)

BUTTON TEXT

silver white winters that melt into springs.

In the year that Suz Bakes has been quiet, I've packed up my Kitchen Aid and moved from the Midwest to North Carolina. Everything has stayed in boxes because I haven't settled down just yet, so voilà! Behold, the excuse for my silence!

I've missed baking and decorating like crazy, so a trip home for the holidays equaled some quality time in the kitchen. I'd like to tell you that it was a blissfully cathartic experience and basically the best day ever, but that's not the truth. I threw my third cake in the trash without bothering to photograph it, and there is currently a dusting of powdered sugar on every possible surface in the kitchen.

My mistake came in the whole "I hate unpacking" business. I left nearly half of my tools boxed up because I really, really didn't want to get them out and have to reorganize everything again. It's the holiday season - I'm allowed to be lazy, right? WRONG. But it's too late to inform the ghost of Suz past that it all was a bad idea. Here's to another lesson learned and hopefully one day remembered.

Today's secret revealed: I only decorated the front side of each cake. When there are only a few hours of natural light in the day, you do what's necessary to get a decent photo! This likewise includes sweet-talking the Kroger floral lady into selling leftover Christmas greenery for a song, shoving your backside through the window to get a good angle (sorry, Mr. Neighbor), and squatting over the kitchen table, praying that you don't accidentally sit on or drop your camera on the cake.

As I type this, I'm aware of two painfully obvious habits I've developed when baking:
1. I notoriously wear all-black when flour and powdered sugar are involved. I don't know why.
2. I consume -2,000 calories on baking days: I always, always forget to eat because I get so caught up in what I'm doing. And now you know how it is possible to have skinny bakers. You can trust us - we're dedicated!

I have to admit, even though the cake situation didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped and this El Niño deal killed all dreams of a white Christmas, the rest of the holiday has been seasonally eventful. There were even flurries in the air this morning - I do believe Old Man Winter is giving it his best go despite all odds.

The week-long break from warmer weather has included:
  • Ice skating outdoors in temperatures far above freezing. It was the first time I'd ever attempted to stand on ice and PRAISE THE LORD I never fell. I won't deny giving the other skaters a show though in terms of staying upright!
  • Tobogganing on a track that was kept running smoothly by use of a watering can. God bless hillbilly little Indiana. And sweet boys who carry sleds for you.
  • A freak ice storm that knocked out our electricity and phone service for 7 hours. Baby, it's finally cold outside!
  • Knitting. Because it's a classic wintertime activity.


And there you have it. Two cakes, just for kicks! Hopefully in a few months I can get back into the swing of things and start sharing recipes again... until then!

No comments

Post a Comment

© suz bakes • Theme by Maira G.