HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
PROFILE PICTURE
SUSAN PARRISH - FOUNDER

Hello, I'm Susan! Welcome to Suz Bakes.


Congrats! You've stumbled across the website during a MAJOR rehaul! I promise it'll be fixed and beautiful within the week. Sorry for the craziness... check back soon! :)
| August 29, 2016


BUTTON TEXT

Check it out!

Sale info goes here. :)

BUTTON TEXT

molasses gingersnap cookies.


If you've seen Disney Pixar's Up, then you can picture this perfectly: the cone of shame. Imagine me wearing it while you read the rest of this post, and I think that will make up for the past three months of no pretty pictures.

I promise that I've been baking! I just fell out of the habit of photographing all of the sweet things that have come out of the kitchen, because... well... they never really made it out of the kitchen. As of late, I've been whipping up things that can be prepared and consumed in a relatively short amount of time - because sugar fix.


It goes like this:

1. "I really, really want something warm and sweet that I can eat right now."
2. Mad Google search for a good, quick cookie recipe. * Possibly something that doesn't require softened butter if the situation is dire.
3. Preheat oven, mix mix mix, plop plop plop (that's cookie dough - not toilet sounds, you little child).
4. Satisfaction. But not really, because I've been on the "miss" side lately of hit-and-miss recipe searches. So I pawn the spoils off to family and friends and wait for the next urge to strike.

* I've re-discovered Pillsbury's Ready To Bake shape sugar cookies. It's a guilty pleasure, but I can eat an unmentionable number of them in one sitting. It does the trick, and so far my love handles have shown no sign of effect.


I frequently get asked if I ever get tired of baking, especially since I'm working at a cake shop.

I almost think that it's like video games. Or reading a good book. Or maybe even retail therapy. If it's what you love to do, you don't get tired of it. It can be frustrating at times if it doesn't work out like you were hoping, but I've never hated it. I always look forward to working in the kitchen (though making dinner is a different story!) and sharing my goodies with others... if I'm in a generous mood. :)

Maybe it was the combination of a love for PlayDough and the ownership of an Easy Bake Oven at a young age... but I love it.

In fact, in a few short weeks I'll be driving over and up to Toronto (finally! A use for my passport!) to spend the greater part of a month at Bonnie Gordon College of Confectionary Arts. They recently redesigned their website and it's a whole lot harder to navigate, but hop on over for a visit if you'd like to learn more about their programs!

One of the things I love and hate most about the blogging process is photographs. When it's an easy subject, the lighting is great, and things are going swimmingly.... it's wonderful. It's also sad to pick and choose from a lot of favorite shots, because even though the internet is super fast in today's age and can handle a lot of photos - moderation is still key. But if I'm trying to take pictures of a boring cookie and it's late in the day, I couldn't be more frustrated. I hate shooting cookies. They are just so plain and when they're not puffy like the ones from today, there isn't a thing in the world that can make them look very appetizing.

...At least with my limited experience. But hey, that's okay. I'm more concerned with how many I can cram in my mouth without anyone noticing!

Can I just point out how cool the steam is rising from the mulled apple cider??! I microwaved that baby three times throughout the course of shooting just so it could stay nice and roasty. Worth it. Tasted pretty wonderful, too. :)

These cookies are delicious. I've made them several times before, and the recipe has yet to fail me. You can also top them with baking chips - butterscotch, semi-sweet, or white chocolate. I made probably a dozen little guys with the extra frills, but none made it into the photos. They um... went into our mouths instead. All good things.


I highly recommend this recipe! It's quick, simple, smells and tastes amazing. Plus, they're small. So you can eat quite a few without feeling like a glutton... which gains major points in my book!

Speaking of books, I've finally caved and started reading the Harry Potter series. At first I was skeptical, because the bright red little Scholastic logo was a blatant reminder that Harry is, indeed, a children's hero. Halfway into the first book, I finally became a convert and can't put the series down. Half.com is seriously a Godsend - I found the entire collection for less than a dollar per book, and went back this past week to grab up the special editions of each movie, as well. I'm an all-or-nothing type of person, I guess!


Honestly, the reason that I even made this cookies in the first place is because there's nothing better than a good little snack to go with a great book. So go on! Try some for yourself!

And don't forget to thank the good Lord for that extra hour tonight - yes, folks! DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IS ENDING! I will be spending my gained hour curled up in bed with my book, and it will be wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was a perfect day for shooting cider and cookies - I got lucky. :) I hope you try these; they're wonderful!

      Delete

© suz bakes • Theme by Maira G.